Volunteer Screening Program
One of the most important aspects of any nonprofit organization’s work is engaging volunteers and inspiring citizen participation. Volunteer screening is critical to the success and safety of volunteerism in Alberta.
Working with the Government of Alberta, we support Alberta’s nonprofit sector to address volunteer screening and engagement and encourage a balance between participation, protection, and privacy. Volunteer screening helps foster safe communities and supports organizations to fulfill duty of care – for clients, volunteers, and community.
Together with the Government of Alberta, stakeholders, and network stewards, we are co-creating strategies to support the nonprofit sector with volunteer screening and engagement.
The Volunteer Screening Program (VSP) is designed to meet the needs of nonprofit organizations across Alberta. Volunteer screening includes the process of screening volunteers, strategies for volunteer recruitment and retention, the assessment of risk, and the development of policies that enable participation and address safety concerns.
The VSP supports nonprofit professionals in implementing effective volunteer screening practices in their organizations. The program will help to maximize the great work already being done and will help to enhance volunteer engagement strategies by supporting the development of deeper understanding of volunteer screening practices.
The VSP provides two key components:
- Education and training, including webinars, workshops, forums, tools, templates, and other resources to share relevant information
- Financial support for eligible organizations to help to alleviate cost burdens related to conducting Vulnerable Sector Checks and to develop screening practices
VSP goals and desired outcomes:
- Deepen understanding of how to implement comprehensive screening practices and duty of care as it relates to participation, protection, and privacy
- Provide access to relevant tools and resources designed to support volunteer screening processes
- Reduce financial barriers related to volunteer screening, including recruiting and retaining volunteers for roles requiring Vulnerable Sector Checks