The Government of Alberta operates public agencies and services, and invests in and supports Albertans and Alberta’s communities.
We communicate with government and across Ministries and Agencies on issues affecting the nonprofit sector. We work with the Ministry of Culture and Multiculturalism and Status of Women, the Ministry of Advanced Education, Service Alberta, and others.
Co-operators is a Canadian-owned co-operative with over 70 years of history. Their business decisions are guided by the co-operative principles which means measuring success beyond financials, and doing what’s right and healthy for clients and communities. They worked with the nonprofit sector to design Community Guard – an insurance program for nonprofit organizations that combines all the protection you need in one complete package.
- We promote Community Guard in Alberta to nonprofit organizations.
- We collaborate to provide education for nonprofits on Risk Management, Insurance, and Directors & Officers Liability.
OASSIS is a nonprofit employee benefit provider for nonprofits across Canada.
They have been offering affordable, comprehensive, and flexible employee benefits plans since 1990. OASSIS is committed to helping nonprofits attract, retain, and reward employees who work to benefit others.
Alberta Nonprofit Network (ABNN) is an independent network of nonprofits seeking to advance the cohesive, proactive and responsive nonprofit sector in Alberta.
- Volunteer Alberta convenes regular bi-weekly teleconferences for the ABNN Exploration Committee and supports the ABNN Steering Committees and Task Teams.
- We act as fiscal agents for funding from the Suncor Energy Foundation and assist with planning sector gatherings.
- We participate as a member of the Exploration Committee, co-lead of the Value & Impact Steering Committee, and participant on several Task Teams.
- Together we identify and advocate on issues impacting the work of nonprofit organizations and work collaboratively to promote Alberta’s nonprofit/voluntary sector.
- Participation on and support provided for ABNN by Volunteer Alberta is made possible by funding from Suncor Energy Foundation and Government of Alberta (Enhanced Capacity Advancement Program).
Alberta’s Volunteer Centres are hubs for volunteerism, offering diverse programs, services, and resources to volunteers and nonprofit organizations based on the unique needs of their communities.
We convene the network in order to support each other in our work and to strengthen our presence in Alberta communities. We convene an annual conference, hold regular teleconferences and develop mutually beneficial relationships between members of the Volunteer Centre Network.
- Volunteer Alberta convenes regular monthly teleconferences for the Alberta Volunteer Centre Network.
- We work collaboratively to promote volunteerism and we support annual National Volunteer Week celebrations.
- We use our collective networks to share information, offer learning events, and provide resources to nonprofit organizations.
- Together we share ideas, resources, knowledge, best practices, and provide support to each other to make greater impact in Alberta.
- Together we discuss and advocate on issues impacting the work of Volunteer Centres and nonprofit organizations across our networks.
Volunteer Canada is the national voice for volunteerism in Canada and leads National Volunteer Week celebrations each year and promotes the value of volunteerism.
Since 1977, Volunteer Canada has provided leadership in volunteer engagement and served as a catalyst for voluntary action. They provide support to volunteer centres, nonprofit organizations, businesses, and public agencies to create a vibrant and resilient Canada.
- We work collaboratively on the annual National Volunteer Week campaign.
- We hold other committee, conference planning, and advisory positions on issues affecting the nonprofit sector.
- We work collaboratively on a national strategy for volunteer screening and police information checks.
- Volunteer Alberta serves as a nonprofit sector representative on the Albert Nonprofit/Voluntary Sector Initiative (ANVSI) working on issues at the intersection of government and nonprofit sector.
- We deliver on several grants and contracts, including the Serving Communities Internship Program (SCiP), Enhanced Capacity Advancement Program (ECAP), Volunteer Screening, and National Volunteer Week celebrations.
- Together we convene stakeholder groups of government, police services, and nonprofits to address screening and police information check issues.
- When requested, we hold committee and advisory positions on issues affecting the nonprofit sector.
- We support and assist in promoting government-led initiatives and programs that benefit the nonprofit sector including: Alberta Culture Days, and Alberta Cultural Calendar.
- We participate annually in promoting and adjudicating the Stars of Alberta Volunteer Awards. You can nominate a youth, adult or senior volunteer here.