Nonprofit organizations are governed by boards of directors – volunteers who provide oversight and governance based on the nonprofit’s bylaws.
These important members of your organization can come from a variety of backgrounds with one common interest – the mission of your organization. They provide leadership, fiscal oversight, governance, and strategic planning.
Nonprofit organizations have many board engagement and development resources available to them. We collect relevant tools and resources to grow and support Alberta nonprofit boards.
Join a Board
Interested in joining a nonprofit board?
- Connect with a nonprofit directly to see how to get involved – organizations have different board recruitment schedules and requirements.
- Visit our Volunteer Opportunities page
- Check our Nonprofit Careers page – Nonprofit job boards often list board positions.
Not sure if you are ready to take the leap? Read Charity Village’s Are You Ready to be a Board Volunteer?
Board Learning Opportunities
Alberta Culture’s Board Development Program (BDP) focuses on improving governance of nonprofit organizations through:
- Curriculum based training for individuals and groups on topics like Board Roles and Responsibilities, Policy Development, and Effective use of Committees.
- Volunteer instructor opportunities.
- Consultation and presentation services.
- Online resources.
Board Information and Resources
The National Council of Nonprofits summarizes the basics of nonprofit boards and shares a rich list of resources on board topics.
Find more information and resources on highly skilled volunteers, including board members, on our Highly Skilled Volunteering page.
Board Member guides and workbooks in Volunteer Alberta’s info centre.
Board development workbooks available on the Volunteer Alberta Bookstore.
The National Council of Nonprofits demonstrates how changing your board agenda style can create more space for your board to be future-focused.