Nonprofit organizations are governed by boards of directors – volunteers who provide oversight and governance based on the nonprofit’s bylaws.
These important members of your organization can come from a variety of backgrounds with one common interest – the mission of your organization. They provide leadership, fiscal oversight, governance, and strategic planning.
Nonprofit organizations have many board engagement and development resources available to them. We collect relevant tools and resources to grow and support Alberta nonprofit boards.
Join a Board
Interested in joining a nonprofit board?
- Connect with a nonprofit directly to see how to get involved – organizations have different board recruitment schedules and requirements.
- Visit our Volunteer Opportunities page
- Check our Nonprofit Careers page – Nonprofit job boards often list board positions.
Not sure if you are ready to take the leap? Read Charity Village’s Are You Ready to be a Board Volunteer?
Board Learning Opportunities
Alberta Culture’s Board Development Program (BDP) focuses on improving governance of nonprofit organizations through:
- Curriculum based training for individuals and groups on topics like Board Roles and Responsibilities, Policy Development, and Effective use of Committees.
- Volunteer instructor opportunities.
- Consultation and presentation services.
Board Information and Resources
BDP also offers online information and resources on a variety of board-related issues:
- Information bulletins on topics including advocacy, budgeting, recruitment, fund development, and membership.
- Workbooks on topics including bylaws, financial responsibilities, and board role descriptions (hardcopies of BDP workbooks are available for purchase from us).
- Board Roles and Responsibilities online course.
Find more information and resources on highly skilled volunteers, including board members, on our Highly Skilled Volunteering page.
Volunteer Canada shares info on board functions and responsibilities, as well as links to additional resources.
Imagine Canada offers resources on board roles and requirements, policies and planning, and board recruitment.
The National Council of Nonprofits summarizes the basics of nonprofit boards and shares a rich list of resources on board topics.
The National Council of Nonprofits demonstrates how changing your board agenda style can create more space for your board to be future-focused.
PwC Canada – “Generative thinking” vital to the success of your not-for-profit organization
PwC Canada explains why generative thinking is important for nonprofit boards and how to move your board into a generative mindset.
BoardSource – Are nonprofit boards really necessary?
BoardSource shares what boards offer and why they are key to the nonprofit sector’s success.